Sunday, September 30, 2012

A goodbye from "436"

Several weeks ago I was speaking with my friend Mike Maxwell. Mike knew he was not going to recover from the cancer that he had been dealing with for three years. Mike knew he was going to die and he knew it would be soon. During the conversation Mike shared with me that he was right with God and knew he would be in heaven soon. He arrived there today just before 4:30AM.

My most recent conversation with Mike came last Monday night via a text message. Here is what he said... Just wanted to say thanks for everything you've done for me over the years especially your work on this benefit. My health has really deteriorated over the last weak or so. Again thanks and I'll see you when I see ya.....mike 

The message was just 226 characters long but I knew Mike was saying goodbye. Tears filled my eyes and I did my best to change the subject. In the end I ask Mike what he wanted me to post on his behalf here on this site. This is what he said... Just thanks from me and the family and what ever else you can string together I trust ya.

I have known Mike all of his professional career. In fact, I was one of his academy instructors so I was there from the start. Over the past 20 years I have seen officers come and go. There have however been few that have exhibited the dedication and “get it done” attitude that Mike demonstrated from start to finish.

The majority of law enforcement officers “hope do make a difference” Mike Maxwell did more than “hope”. Mike delivered the goods, and then some.  For Mike being a law enforcement officer was not a job it was a calling.

There will never be another 436 at the Sheriff's Office. Mike's number has been retired. It has been my honor to be a friend and coworker of Mike. It is now up to the rest of the law enforcement community to pick up where Mike left off.  It is up to us to “Make a difference every day.”

At the beginning of this posting I said that Mike knew he was going to die. The fact is so are you and I. We may not know in advance, but it is going to happen. You do not have to be old or in bad health. Be ready to go. Treat others with kindness today because you may not have another chance.

I don't think Mike was much of a country music fan but I feel this song outlines Mikes attitude about life. Hey, he did say he trusted me...right?

Mike's friend, coworker and webmaster Doug Hunter

10 comments:

dougy05050 said...

Go be with the lord Mike.

dougy05050 said...

Go be with the Lord Mike.

Ronnie Maxwell said...

Well done, Captain Hunter. Well done.

I believe Mike would approve.

Thank you, friend.

Anonymous said...

Much peace and love to everyone involved in Mike's life. -c.h.

Unknown said...

WEll done Doug Mike would be proud and would approve I'm sure. Go rest in peace Mike Maxwell and may God give you peace. Love and prayers to your family, many many friends and to all the Wayne County Sheriffs Office who had the honor of working with a professional, courteous true person. Rest in Peace 436

Unknown said...

Very well written very much deserved How hard to hold back the tears

Gael Maxwell Chester said...

Wonderful....Thank you for such a beautiful read.

Phil & Colleen Ritzi said...

Sympathy to the family and all of Mike's friends and coworkers as well. We didn't know him, but heard wonderful things about him from those who did. Am sure the Lord has a most special place for him.

Anonymous said...

I was so sad to learn of this today. I knew Mike as a child - he was my first "crush" in preschool at Freedlander. I remember my first Halloween party at his house and I remember him always being kind, gentle and protective even at the age of 3-4. Gentlemen are born that way ... God bless his family and friends in this time and know that he touched many more then we will ever know. One act of kindness permeates the universe.
Julie Chapman-Chmiel

Unknown said...

I am so sad. prayers can change faith. Farewell messages